2021 Long Beach Emergency Rental Relief for Landlords and Tenants (Updated on April 15, 2021)

April 15,2021 Update: The City of Long Beach has Opened Applications for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program!

As of April 12th, tenants and landlords can finally submit an application for rental relief assistance in Long Beach, California! These are the latest details from the City of Long Beach and everything you need to know to get the necessary relief to pay unpaid rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here to apply for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

March 30, 2021 Update: What We Know So Far

Long Beach residents and landlords struggling with financial loss or hardship because of the COVID-19 pandemic are getting some much needed rental assistance, thanks to a city program that offers about $29 million for rent relief.

The federal government recently passed the American Rescue Plan with stimulus funds and rental assistance for landlords, tenants, and homeowners. Some of those funds have been passed down to the states and from the states, passed down to the cities.

In Los Angeles County, two cities (Los Angeles and Long Beach), decided to oversee the disbursement of funds themselves, giving the city governments more control over the money. In this article, we’re covering the latest details on how this has trickled down to the city level for Long Beach, California.

We interviewed Mike Murchison, a lobbyist and consultant for apartment owners and investors in Long Beach. He shares with us the latest details about the Emergency Rental Assistance Program for renters and landlords.

Note: The rules, requirements and eligibility for COVID-19 pandemic rental relief programs may vary depending on your city or state. For more specific information on cities outside of Long Beach, learn more below:

Here’s what we know so far about the Long Beach COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program:

How much money has been allocated to this program?

Nearly $29 million dollars have been allocated to benefit tenants and landlords. The funds will mostly go toward paying back rent for eligible Long Beach residents who apply for the program. In total, the money could be used to pay up to 80% of a tenant’s unpaid rent if their landlords agree to forgive the remaining 20%.

Who can apply?

Landlords who own or manage at least one residential rental unit, and tenants (renters) who rent a residential unit or a room in the city of Long Beach.

Information for Long Beach Landlords

Eligibility

If you have one or more eligible tenants, you are eligible to get reimbursed for up to 80% of each eligible tenant’s unpaid rent between April 1st, 2020 and March 31st, 2021, if you agree to waive the other 20% of remaining unpaid rent within that time period.

Requirements for Eligible Landlord Applicants:

  1. All reimbursement payments must be used to satisfy a tenant’s unpaid rent for the period between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
  2. You can apply on behalf of your tenant, your tenant must also provide necessary documentation, and they must sign the application for assistance.
  3. Your tenant’s household income must be at or below 80 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI). This program will prioritize assisting tenants with household income at or below 50% of AMI.
Household Size 12345678
50% AMI Limit $39,450  $45,050  $50,700  $56,300  $60,850 $65,350$69,850$74,350
80% AMI Limit$63,100$72,100$81,100$90,100$97,350 $104,550  $111,750  $118,950 

Information for Long Beach Tenants (Renters)

Eligibility

One or more individuals in each household must meet all of the criteria to become eligible to apply:

  1. You must have a household income at or below 80% of the area median income (AMI).
  2. You must have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the COVID-19.
  3. You must be able to demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability. Such scenarios may include:
    • a past-due utility or rent notice or eviction notice
    • unsafe or unhealthy living conditions
    • any other evidence of such risk

When are Landlords and Tenants Able to Apply for the Rental Assistance Program?

The application portal for both tenants and landlords will be available the week of April 12, 2021.

Key Points to Consider

Even if a tenant’s household income is below 80% of AMI (area median income), the program will prioritize households with income below 50% of AMI and applicants who have been unemployed for 90 days or more.

If a tenant is eligible but the landlord chooses not to participate in the Rental Assistance Program, they may apply on their own. The tenant will be paid 25% of the unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021.

What’s Happening Now

The City of Long Beach is still in the process of selecting a third party vendor that will run the Long Beach Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

If you’re a landlord or a tenant in Long Beach, you’ll have to wait a few more days or weeks to hear an update from the City of Long Beach regarding help for unpaid rent. We expect to receive news soon!

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Related Posts

May 2021 Fourplex of the Month

The Location: Bluff Heights Bluff Heights is a section of the Alamitos Beach Townsite which was originally planned by John W. Bixby in 1886.  Today,

Compare listings

Compare
Search
Price Range From To
Other Features